The Thalys Internet access system:
Whenever you go, let’s say, from Brussels to Paris, and you want to connect your laptop to the tubes this is what happens:
- Your laptop establishes a wireless connection with a computer in your car.
- This computer connects with an antenna in the roof.
- This antenna gets a bidirectional satellite link.
- The satellite connects with a network operation center god knows where.
- The center accesses the Internet for you and send everything the same way back.
Hey wait, but what if you’re in a tunnel? Pas de problème, the Internet connection is kept alive by switching to land relays.